- For a significant proportion of real
estate market participants, like-kind exchanges (LKE) provide an important
vehicle to dispose and acquire property.
- Like-kind exchanges are available to
individuals, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, as
well as trusts.
- The main requirement of a like-kind
exchange is that the disposition of one property and acquisition of another
property must be part of an integrated transaction, rather than two
- REALTORS® are active participants in
like-kindexchanges as investors, brokers and agents, intermediaries and
- Sixty-three percent of REALTORS®
participated in a like-kind exchange transaction during 2011-14.
- In 2014, REALTORS®' average fair market
value of all transactions was $7.0 million
- Like-kind exchanges accounted for 39
percent of total FMV, or $2.7 million per respondent.
- Ninety-six percent of REALTORS®
indicated a decrease in real estate values in case of repeal of like-kind
Click here to read or download the whole document.